The Benefits of Switching to a Steam Mop
- Versatility – steam cleaners are great for cleaning so many different surfaces. They are suitable for cleaning carpets, ceramic, grout, sealed hardwood flooring, lino, marble, bedding and upholstery
- Cut out drying time – gone are the days of waiting on soggy floors to dry after mopping. With a steam mop there is minimal residue left on the floor, meaning you can get on with more important things
- Maintenance – the running costs of using a steam mop are low, depending on the type of mop you have. Many come with two reusable mop heads that can be popped in the washing machine. It is advised to wash mop pads immediately after using them and ensure they dry properly. Otherwise mildew can set in and they will have to be replaced
- Save money – making the switch to steam cleaners is a great way to save money because it cuts the cost of detergents, bleach and sprays for cleaning, which are usually the most expensive items
- Eco-friendly – by using just water to cleanse your home, steam cleaners are eco-friendly and efficient, making it easier and more enjoyable
Before Making your Choice
Do Your Research
If you are considering buying a steam-cleaner for your home and have never owned one before, then it is really important to do your research. Find out what steam cleaners are out there and what kind of features they have. Do you want a regular cylinder steam cleaners, a handheld or even a multi-purpose mop that is a 2-in-1?
Corded or Cordless?
Even though this seems like a minor point, it is so important to think about cord length when buying a steam mop. Are you planning to clean hard-to-reach places far from any plug sockets? If you are, then it is best to look for a cordless steam mop or one with a longer cord. You want to make your mop as portable as possible.
If you want to use a steam cleaner for your floors and carpets then you may not need to worry about this part. But if you are planning for multi-purpose use then it is important to look for a flexible mop head and nozzle attachment to help you reach into corners and awkward-to-clean areas of your home.
To make life a little easier, it may be worthwhile getting a steam mop that can stand upright by itself. A surprising amount of steam cleaners are lacking this fundamental feature, so make sure you double check.
Water Tank Capacity
The bigger the water tank, the longer you can steam for. But that comes at a price. Bigger water tanks also mean more weight and less portability, so it’s definitely something to take into consideration.
Although steam cleaning is known for being chemical-free, using steam alone sometimes just isn’t enough. To clean more stubborn and ground-in stains, it may be worthwhile opting for a mop that uses detergent. Just keep in mind that detergent will be an added and ongoing cost.
Deciding what accessories you will need for your steam mop all depends on the kind of cleansing you want to accomplish around your home. To clean carpets you will need a carpet glider, but to clean grout you will need a grout brush and an extension nozzle. If you are looking for versatility then it is probably worth getting a steam mop with a selection of accessories to try out. Remember, you can always buy extra accessories in the future.
So what accessories do steam cleaners usually come with?
- Squeegee – to clean glass
- Scrubbing brushes – to remove dirt and grime from grout and in between tiles
- Carpet glider – to refresh carpets
- Cleaning pads – to clean surfaces
- Upholstery tool – to treat stains and refresh fabric easily
- Scrubbing pad – to remove grease and buildup from ovens
Steam Heat Up Time
Heat-up-time can differ depending on the model and make of your steam cleaner. It can take anywhere between 20 seconds to 3 minutes before you are ready to start steam cleaning. Though this may not make a huge difference to some people, it’s still something to think about.
This is the length of time your steam cleaner can run for before needing to be filled up with water. Again this depends on the type of mop you have and it is important to consider this before you buy.