When using an electric razor, it’s important to follow any safety instructions to ensure that your skin is not being damaged by the process of shaving. Always make sure that you adhere to appliance guidelines, especially when operating an electric shaver in a wet bathroom.
What Features Should I Look For?
- Long battery life/ rechargeable batteries: You don’t want to have to be plugging your shaver in every five minutes. Most electric models are now rechargeable, but battery ones do still exist and can be great for travelling.
- Sensitive skin: Having sensitive skin is really common, and if you are going down the electric route, think really carefully about your choice. Make sure you go for a design and model that will not irritate your skin and will give you a good shaving experience.
- Cordless: This is pretty standard, being cordless makes the whole experience of shaving so much easier.
- Wet shaving: Wet shaving is more comfortable than dry shaving and it also gives better results. Most are waterproof, but it’s worth getting one that is 100% shower-friendly too.
- Extra trimmers and combs: It’s a good idea to buy a shaver that comes with all the different heads and extensions you will need like beard and bikini line trimmers.
- Cleaning brush: Most good quality electric models come with a cleaning brush, but some also come with a proper self-cleaning station!
What Is The Difference Between Rotary And Foil?
Electric models tend to either use foil or rotary technology.
These cut on a straight edge and use moving blades beneath a thin sheet of foil to cut hair. Brands like Braun and Panasonic favour foil electric models. Foil-shavers will need replacing after some time and they give a closer shaver. Most lady shavers are foil-shavers.
These tend to be sold as shavers for men, and they use three to four rotating heads to lift and cut hair and stubble. All Philips models use rotary technology. Rotary models can be less irritating to the skin but are also less precise.
Dry Or Wet Model?
Most shavers these days are waterproof, making it both easier to keep them clean and get a better shave. Wet shaves are more precise than dry shaves and tend to protect the skin better because of plentiful lubrication. If you are doing a dry shave, make sure that you moisturise your skin and pull it taut to avoid any nicks.
How Do I Get The Best Shave?
The best shaves happen when you concentrate and don’t rush the process. Make sure that you are drawing the blades across your body or face in the right direction, and always pull your skin tight so that you have a nice flat surface. Whether you use oils, shaving creams or gels, make sure that they are compatible with your shaver. If you have sensitive skin, be extra vigilant about what products you are putting on your skin. When trying out a new hair removal method for the first time, it’s always advisable to test it out on a small area first to monitor for any signs of irritation.
Are Shavers Okay For My Sensitive Skin?
There are model out there especially designed for sensitive skin. They generally have smaller, more precise blades and include little strips of aloe to cool your skin down. It’s not a good idea to use blunt or abrasive blades on sensitive skin, and always make sure that your skin is well-lubricated. Shavers are OK for sensitive skin, but as with anything, test your skin’s reaction out first. Your underarm skin and the bikini line will be the most sensitive hair removal areas.
Are Men’s And Women’s Razors Really That Different?
Other than the obvious things like colour choice and design, mens shavers are aimed at denser, more coarse hair and tend to come with more blade and trimmer options. Most lady shavers use a foil blade system, whereas shavers for men can also use Gillette blade and rotary shaving technology. Men’s shavers are generally aimed at dealing with facial hair and beards, whereas shavers for women are mainly aimed at shaving legs.
Are They Hard To Maintain?
You must regularly clean out your electric razor in order to keep it from going blunt. A blunt blade is both ineffective and dangerous. Use the brush provided after every use to get rid of dead skin cells and unwanted hair. If your appliance is waterproof, run it under plenty of hot water too. Foil heads will need to replaced after some time.
Why Is An Electric Model So Much Better?
They are more versatile as you can use them anywhere, including on the go. If you have many attachments, they can be used to take care of a whole range of grooming and shaving tasks. Electric options are also less messy and usually work out cheaper than buying expensive disposal options.
Are They Better Than Disposable?
In some ways yes, in other ways no. People tend to find that a wet shave with a traditional razor is still the closest possible shave, but electric shaver blade technology is improving all the time. Generally electric shavers are safer to use and less irritating for skin.
Are There Any Other Hair Removal Options?
Need some more ideas? Have you tried any of these hair removal methods yet?
- Disposable razors
- Laser hair removal
- Threading and tweezing
- Waxing (hot and cold)
- Hair removal gels & pastes
- Sugar waxing