Keeping on top of your personal grooming can feel like a full-time job! If you’ve grown tired of cheap disposable blades, painful epilators & tweezers, and messy waxing: why not try out the ease and comfort of electric models? With great designs for both men and women, including beard and bikini trimmers, shavers can help you remove unwanted body hair from just about anywhere, even from sensitive underarm areas.
Electric options fall into a few different categories with some models having blades that are better suited for close shaves. Generally speaking, electric optionss can’t offer shaves as close as traditional wet shaving, so be aware that you might still need to use an epilator occasionally if you’re going for a completely silky smooth look.
You can also buy shavers that are completely waterproof and safe to use in the shower, which is great as wet shaves are often more precise and comfortable.
Best For Men
As the beard makes its comeback, British men are having to get to grips with the time old ritual of shaving and facial hair maintenance. Whether you see your beard as a sign of potency, a fashion statement, or want it scrupulously removed every day – electric options are a great bathroom gadget for managing the demands of twenty-first century male grooming. Here we review some of the top electric shavers and trimmers on the market – these can give you that classic clean shaven look, without the hassle and fuss of razor-blades and hot towels…
|Name||Brand||Wet or Dry Shave||Blade Type||Best Features||Rating||Price||Buy Now|
|BRAUN Series 3 3040S Wet & Dry Shaver||Braun||Wet and Dry||Foil||- flexible blade positions |
- quality design
- MicroComb precision
|BRAUN Series 7 790CC-4 Wet & Dry Foil Shaver||Braun||Wet and Dry||Foil||- hygienic self-cleaning station|
- waterproof to up to 5 metres of water
|Philips Series 3000||Philips||Wet and Dry||Foil||- 2 in 1 trimmer and razor |
- quiet and precise
|Remington XR1450 HyperFlex Aqua Plus Rotary Shaver||Remington||Wet and Dry||Rotary||- ergonomic design|
- low on vibrations
- worldwide voltage
|Philips S1310 Cordless Dry Electric Shaver Series 1000||Philips||Dry||Rotary||- easy to use and handle||4.5||£|
Top Wet & Dry Electric Shaver Model
Great Braun Series 3 shaver for men with MicroComb blades
Try out the new Braun Series 3 MicroComb shaving experience for yourself. This bright blue Braun shaver has flexible cutting elements and three blade positions for super precise and accurate shaving. A fantastic shaver for all types of beard contouring, this model uses a foil blade system.
- Flexible cutting elements – 3 blade positions
- Protection cap & cleaning brush included
- You can wash this model under a running tap (waterproof & water safe)
- 5 minute quick re-charge function for men on the go
- Completely cordless with an ergonomic grip
- Using an electric shaver can get some getting used to, especially at first
Our Verdict: It’s hard to know how to fault this Braun Series 3 number which delivers on all shaver fronts, and it even looks good (always a bonus).
BRAUN Series 3 3040S Rating: 10/10
- Water washable
- With trimmer
BRAUN Series 3 3040S user manual
Top Shower Razor & Shaving Unit
Self-cleaning electric shaving system from Braun
This Braun foil model comes with an awesome self-cleaning station that takes all the hassle out of beard care. Hygienic and long-lasting, this electric option is built to last and works 100% underwater too (if that’s your thing). A gadget worth investing in for sure, you’ll thank yourself later.
- Comes with its own clean & charge station which removes bacteria by cleaning, lubricating and drying the shaver
- Cleaning brush & protection cap included
- Two modes: sensitive and turbo
- Comes with travel pouch
- Ultra lightweight
- 50 minutes battery life
Our Verdict: Lightweight and self-cleaning, this electric option from Braun offers an awesome shaving solution. What more could a man possibly need?
BRAUN Series 7 790CC-4 Wet & Dry Foil Shaver Rating: 10/10
- Completely cordless for hands-free shaving
- Utterly shower proof (waterproof to up to 5 metres of water)
- Pivoting head for those harder to reach places
- 5 minute emergency charge
- Ergonomic grip
BRAUN Series 7 790CC-4 Wet & Dry Foil Shaveruser manual
Top 2 in 1 Body Groomer
The Philips Series 3000 wet and dry body groomer has a pivoting head, comb attachment and a trim and shave head to make shaving hard to reach areas easier and is designed to be fully waterproof and hypoallergenic.
With 50 minutes of cordless use on an 8 hour charge, this shaver also has a battery indicator to let you know when the shaver is charged and when you only have 10 minutes of charge remaining.
We love that this product doesn’t need to be oiled like most shavers.
- Wet and dry
- Attachments included
- Battery indicator
- No need to oil
- Can clog on longer hair
Our Verdict: A really good groomer at a very reasonable price.
Philips Series 3000 Rating: 8/10
- Flexible head
- Wet or dry
Philips Series 3000 user manual
Top Rotary Blade Shaver
Remington rotary model with a fantastic design and good vibrations
This high-performance shaver is both practical and powerful. Well-designed to fit your hand, this Remington offers a precision shave with rotary blades. Bonus points for the worldwide voltage, this is a great travel companion for the modern, discerning jetsetter.
- A quiet & comfortable shave with less vibrations
- Comes with a pop up trimmer which is great for moustaches
- Worldwide voltage
- Good battery life: charge for 1.5 hours for 1 hour’s use
- If being used in the UK, you will need to purchase a mains adaptor separately
Our Verdict: The rotary blades provide comfort and accuracy when you need it the most. Bonus points for the great ergonomic, waterproof design. Light but powerful electric option from Remington.
Remington XR1450 HyperFlex Rating: 9.8/10
- Flexing head and rotary neck guarantee a fast and sensitive-friendly shave
- Completely cordless and suitable for wet and dry shaves
- 5 minute emergency shave function
Remington XR1450 HyperFlex user manual
Top Dry Electric Shaver
Perfect for men who prefer their shaves dry
A great cordless Philips model, this shaver is extremely easy to use and maneuver around the face. Dry shaves aren’t as close as wet shaves, so remember to factor that in.
- Great ergonomic design for easy handling and hair removal
- Comes with protective cap and cleaning brush
- Extremely easy to use
- Only 35 minutes of battery life after an 8 hour charge
- Not waterproof & dry shaves aren’t as close as wet ones
Our Verdict: If you are not bothered about getting a super-precise wet shave, this Philips dry shaver is a brilliant option that won’t break the bank. Great for people transitioning to electric models for the first time.
Philips S1310 Rating: 9/10
Philips S1310 Specifications:
- Dry cordless electric shaver
- Four direction flex heads and rotary blades make for a comfortable (if not super precise) shave
Philips S1310 user manual
Is your beard and face twitching with pleasure after our reviews? Time to check out our coffee machine reviews?
Best For Women
Ready to dump your old blades? Given up on the painful epilator? Hot wax getting you into a mess? Read our reviews of some of the top lady shavers and electric options on the market right now to take the pain out of hair removal. Whether you want a dry or wet shave, we have the right electric model for you that will not only help you remove unwanted hair, but also help nourish and take care of your skin. And be warned: these foil technology shavers are not for men; they have specifically designed for women and their bodies and include essential features and add-ons like bikini trimmers. The journey to silky smooth skin starts here…
|Name||Brand||Wet or Dry||Rechargeable Batteries||Best Features||Price||Buy Now|
|Philips BRL140/00 SatinShave Advanced Wet and Dry Electric Shaver||Philips||Wet and Dry||Yes||- pearl tip trimmers |
- anti-slip grip
|Remington WDF4840 Cordless Lady Shaver||Remington||Wet and Dry||Yes||- aloe strips |
- best budget buy
|Philips HP6341 Wet and Dry Cordless Ladyshave||Philips||Wet and Dry||No||- small precision shaver|
- good on underarms
|Braun Silk-epil LS5100 Battery Operated Lady Shaver||Braun||Wet and Dry||No||- quiet when in use |
- great design
|BABYLISS True Smooth 8770BU Wet & Dry Lady Shaver - Turquoise||BABYLISS||Wet and Dry||Yes||- 3 year guarantee |
- great shower shaver
Best Wet & Dry Women’s Razor
Comfortable to use cordless electric model from Philips
This cute little pink Philips electric shaver is totally worth its price tag. This is a very skin-friendly electric model with a great ergonomic design that makes it easy to grip and maneuver. We love the pearl-tip trimmers, and though this electric shaver doesn’t offer a super precise shave, it’s pretty good as far as electric models go (you can always whip out the classic disposable option for any final few bits).
- Pouch and cleaning brush included (it’s very important to keep your appliance clean at all times)
- Easy to use and no irritation occurred, even on sensitive skin
- Doesn’t offer a super close shave (often the case with electric shavers)
Our Verdict: Easy to handle, this pink Philips number is a great quality beauty product for those who want to take the work out of personal grooming. Worth a dry (or wet) run for sure!
Philps BRL140/00 Rating: 10/10
- Dry and wet shave features – can be used in the living room or bathroom!
- Ergonomic handle – easy to steer with anti-slip grip
- SatinShave floating foil for close skin contact, perfect for shaving legs
- Pearl-trip trimmers for precision & safety when tidying up bikini line
- Rechargeable battery – one hour battery life (not too bad)
Philps BRL140/00 user manual
Best Hypoallergenic Women’s Shaver
Affordable Remington electric model for sensitive skin
Remington is known for its affordable and quality shavers, and this one is a great one for sensitive skin. Using an electric model on delicate skin is always a struggle, and you should always follow care instructions to the letter, and stop use if any irritation occurs. We appreciate Remington catering to sensitive skin with cooling aloe, making this the choice for women who are not sure whether their skin can handle the switch from traditional models. We especially love the dual hypoallergenic floating foils which make fast work of hair removal without damaging skin.
- Best budget buy
- Comes with brush & bag, as well as four attachments
- Lights up for easy use
- Easy to hold and low on vibrations
- Aloe vera strips for smooth, undamaged skin when shaving legs
- 30 mins usage out of 20 hours charge time – not great rechargeable battery life!
- Better on wet shave than dry
Our Verdict: Packed full of great features for a small price, this electric Remington is a brilliant budget buy.
Remington WDF4840 Cordless Lady Shaver Rating: 10/10
- Wet and dry shave possible
- Dual hypoallergenic floating foils for fast results
- Bikini trimmer attachment included
- Cordless and comes with rechargeable batteries
Remington WDF4840 Cordless Lady Shaver user manual
Best Small Electric Model
Precise shaving with this compact cordless
This electric option is another Philips gem. Small, but perfectly formed, this women’s model has a small shaving head for precision and works wonders even on those tricky underarms. Shame it doesn’t have rechargeable batteries though!
- Small shaving head for precision
- Slim design fits into hand
- Comes with brush
- Good, even on underarms
- Needs two AA batteries in order to work
- Only comes with one attachment (trimmer comb)
Our Verdict: This precise little shaver is great for ladies who don’t mind spending a bit more time on hair removal, getting all those little hard to reach areas looking all trim and neat.
Philips HP6341 Rating: 9.6/10
- Wet and dry use
- Foils come with protection cap
- Cordless & fully washable
Philips HP6341 user manual
Best Battery Operated Lady Shaver
Braun battery-operated electric model for smooth skin
This Braun shaver is battery-operated which can be a bit of a pain; though some people do find batteries easier (and it does actually come with some). A well-designed ergonomic head makes for a comfortable shave, though you won’t be getting the same results you would as with an epilator or waxing. Bonus points for the cool design and the fact that it’s quiet when in use (no one likes a shaver that sounds like a freight train).
- Well known women’s care brand
- OK shave for sensitive areas like underarms and bikini line
- Two attachments: bikini trimmer and Optishave for close shaves
- Cleaning brush included
- Quiet when in use
- Needs 2 AA batteries – better if this one was rechargeable, though some people find batteries easier
- Time-consuming to use
- Not a very close shave
Our Verdict: Solid Braun quality shaver that delivers on design and usability.
Braun Silk-epil LS5100 Rating: 9.2/10
- Wet and dry shaving both possible
- Floating foil and long hair trimmer for extra close shave
- Smooth, rounded gliding head for shaving comfort (fully washable & hygienic)
Braun Silk-epil LS5100 user manual
Best Online Lady Shaver Deal
Great shower-safe option, but battery life leaves room for improvement
Nice to see an electric model for women that isn’t pink for once! We love this little turquoise design from Babyliss that offers great value for money. A perfect shaver for those women who prefer to do their shaving in the shower as this one takes to being under water very well.
- Floating trimmer for extra close shave + dual foil razor to complete the job
- Two comb lengths for versatile hair removal
- 3 years manufacturer’s guarantee
- Only 30 minutes battery life from one charge (which takes eight hours)
Our Verdict: Great Babyliss design and a brilliant model that can be easily used in the shower.
Philips HP6341 Rating: 9.4/10
- Ideal for wet and dry use, this BABYLISS shaver is 100 % shower safe and washable!
- Comfortable grip means slip ups are rare
Philips HP6341 user manual
Hopefully you have got a better idea of what electric-razors can do for you.
Electric Razors&Shavers Buying Guide
When using an electric razor, it’s important to follow any safety instructions to ensure that your skin is not being damaged by the process of shaving. Always make sure that you adhere to appliance guidelines, especially when operating an electric shaver in a wet bathroom.
Best electric option features to look out for
So what makes for a great electric razor? What features should you be looking out for?
- Long battery life/ rechargeable batteries: You don’t want to have to be plugging your shaver in every five minutes. Most electric models are now rechargeable, but battery ones do still exist and can be great for travelling.
- Sensitive skin: Having sensitive skin is really common, and if you are going down the electric route, think really carefully about your choice. Make sure you go for a design and model that will not irritate your skin and will give you a good shaving experience.
- Cordless: This is pretty standard, being cordless makes the whole experience of shaving so much easier.
- Wet shaving: Wet shaving is more comfortable than dry shaving and it also gives better results. Most are waterproof, but it’s worth getting one that is 100% shower-friendly too.
- Extra trimmers and combs: It’s a good idea to buy a shaver that comes with all the different heads and extensions you will need like beard and bikini line trimmers.
- Cleaning brush: Most good quality electric models come with a cleaning brush, but some also come with a proper self-cleaning station!
What’s the difference between rotary and foil?
Electric models tend to either use foil or rotary technology.
Foil-shavers cut on a straight edge and use moving blades beneath a thin sheet of foil to cut hair. Brands like Braun and Panasonic favour foil electric models. Foil-shavers will need replacing after some time and they give a closer shaver. Most lady shavers are foil-shavers.
Rotary-shavers tend to be sold as shavers for men, and they use three to four rotating heads to lift and cut hair and stubble. All Philips models use rotary technology. Rotary models can be less irritating to the skin but are also less precise.
Are dry or wet models better?
Most shavers these days are waterproof, making it both easier to keep them clean and get a better shave. Wet shaves are more precise than dry shaves and tend to protect the skin better because of plentiful lubrication. If you are doing a dry shave, make sure that you moisturise your skin and pull it taut to avoid any nicks.
How do I get the best shave?
The best shaves happen when you concentrate and don’t rush the process. Make sure that you are drawing the blades across your body or face in the right direction, and always pull your skin tight so that you have a nice flat surface. Whether you use oils, shaving creams or gels, make sure that they are compatible with your shaver. If you have sensitive skin, be extra vigilant about what products you are putting on your skin. When trying out a new hair removal method for the first time, it’s always advisable to test it out on a small area first to monitor for any signs of irritation.
Are shavers OK for sensitive skin?
There are model out there especially designed for sensitive skin. They generally have smaller, more precise blades and include little strips of aloe to cool your skin down. It’s not a good idea to use blunt or abrasive blades on sensitive skin, and always make sure that your skin is well-lubricated. Shavers are OK for sensitive skin, but as with anything, test your skin’s reaction out first. Your underarm skin and the bikini line will be the most sensitive hair removal areas.
How are men’s and women’s models different?
Other than the obvious things like colour choice and design, mens shavers are aimed at denser, more coarse hair and tend to come with more blade and trimmer options. Most lady shavers use a foil blade system, whereas shavers for men can also use Gillette blade and rotary shaving technology. Men’s shavers are generally aimed at dealing with facial hair and beards, whereas shavers for women are mainly aimed at shaving legs.
Why do people shave?
Loads of different reasons! Men and women shave and remove body hair for various reasons, varying from fashion to personal hygiene, and religion. Generally, women feel more pressure than men to remove ‘unwanted’ body hair, but men are also increasingly taking up more stringent grooming habits and removing hair from their backs and legs. Some sports like cycling also require shaved legs.
Electric shaver maintenance
You must regularly clean out your electric razor in order to keep it from going blunt. A blunt blade is both ineffective and dangerous. Use the brush provided after every use to get rid of dead skin cells and unwanted hair. If your appliance is waterproof, run it under plenty of hot water too. Foil heads will need to replaced after some time.
What makes electric models so great?
They are more versatile as you can use them anywhere, including on the go. If you have many attachments, they can be used to take care of a whole range of grooming and shaving tasks. Electric options are also less messy and usually work out cheaper than buying expensive disposal options.
Are electric shavers better than disposable?
In some ways yes, in other ways no. People tend to find that a wet shave with a traditional razor is still the closest possible shave, but electric shaver blade technology is improving all the time. Generally electric shavers are safer to use and less irritating for skin.
Other hair removal options to consider
Need some more ideas? Have you tried any of these hair removal methods yet?
- Disposable models
- Laser hair removal
- Threading and tweezing
- Waxing (hot and cold)
- Hair removal gels & pastes
- Sugar waxing